Commission A One of A Kind Piece Today
"She's A Mystery" Commissioned and completed January-February 2017
A personal commissioned artwork is a gift that is so unique and special. Artwork with meaning becomes an heirloom. It can represent a link to a family’s past and provide a visual legacy for its future. A piece can capture a point in time in the ever changing life of a child, or evoke the memory of a loved one. The possibilities are "almost" endless. Think of the things you love and then let me interpret them with my artwork. The piece above started as an idea...the client wanted a large scale piece (the provided the dimensions of 72" x 24") for their master bath, the springboard was the statement "a piece to be entertained by for years to come." So as simple as that. They had also reacted to other pieces that I had already made, so I had a general idea of what they "liked." It can be as specific or non specific as you want.
HERE IS HOW TO GET STARTED ON YOUR OWN COMMISSIONED PIECE:
Contact me through the contact form or directly through email to begin the conversation. Think about the size and direction of the piece. Do you know where the piece will hang?
*DO YOU WANT ME TO CONTROL THE IMAGERY OR DO YOU WANT TO DEVELOP THE PIECE. This may the most critical part of the process. I can make a piece, like the one described above, or I can use your images, or a combination of the two. Please know that no matter what it ultimately will be a Charm School Dropout piece of art. I cannot make a collage of your images without including my own interpretation.
• SELECT YOUR IMAGE(S):Please be sure that your digital photos are hi res (at least 4x6 and 300 dpi). Most local photo shops can help you with this process. Or for an additional price I can scan and work on the originals myself. All originals will be returned unharmed when commission is completed. (When selecting your images It is important to remember that darker areas of an image will be more opaque, and therefore photos and items in the background will not show through as clearly.)
• INCLUDING PERSONAL ITEMS: When commissioning a piece you may want to incorporate personal items You may choose to include a childhood drawing, a favored poem, a report card, hand or foot print, birth certificate, achievement award, a prayer, or a special sentiment written specially for this commission. A swatch of fabric from an item such as a baby quilt or wedding dress can also be incorporated. (If you do not wish for me to glue down the original items, they can be scanned and printed on vintage papers.) I will also need a history or biography of the subject to be submitted in writing. Any information you can provide will be helpful in making the piece more personal.
• DELIVERY: After all of the background items have been delivered to me, please allow 4-6 weeks for completion. I will be in touch during mid process to let you know how the piece is evolving.
50% up front 50% upon completion
This is a sample price list with different size options. Sorry, I do not make commission work smaller than 20" x 30" Also these are base prices and will increase with time involved.
20" X 30" $2000
24" X 36" $2200
30" x 30" $3200
30" X 36" $3500
25" X 60" $4500
36" X 38" $4200
40" x 40" $5000
36" X 48" $5200
45" X 45" $5500
36" x 54" $5900
TIPS FOR SCANNING YOUR IMAGES
Try to scan your image in at the highest resolution (300 dpi is ideal). Please seek help if you need it. There is an entire business of photo restoration. I love Costco and always find their photo staff helpful. I don't even think you need a membership to use their service).
VISUAL TIPS FOR YOUR CUSTOM PIECE
Try to narrow down your selection of photos as much as possible. Generally, the less elements there are, the better the composition will look. I highly recommend using ONE main image with a collection of documents in the background. Another option is having one dominant image with 2 or 3 small images that are much less dominant.
WHAT KIND OF IMAGES OR EPHEMERA CAN BE SCANNED AND MADE INTO CUSTOM ART?
- vintage family photos
- vintage portraits
- anything from your personal photo collection
- hand written letters
- birth certificates
- wedding certificates
- report cards
- house blueprints
- old maps
- food recipes
- fabrics can also be scanned in and used as a pattern in the background
- anything that is special to you or the person you wish to give this piece to.
CAN THE ORIGINAL PHOTOS AND DOCUMENTS BE USED IN THE CUSTOM PIECE?
I usually work from photocopies but I can use the original documents (letters, certificates..etc) just not original photographs. You can mail the documents to me.
WHAT KIND OF WOOD IS USED?
My pieces are handmade in house. Backing board is luan or MDF. The wood frame is from salvage wood from local construction sites that we purchase to keep from going in the landfill. Aaron handbuilds the infinity frame. I can work with the wood to get it to what you want, but please know we are trying to help the environment and the wood is already in its natural state from being rescued. Also the epoxy resin encases the wood, making it a solid and resistant piece.
WHAT IS THE ART COATED WITH?
I use a very high gloss two part epoxy resin.
It is a two part liquid that is mixed, poured, then blow torched to release bubbles. It can take 24-48 hours to dry.
Resin is not glass, it has its own unique look.If you don't want resin I can leave it off, but the piece will not look exactly as my show pieces do.
WHAT IS THE LONGEVITY OF RESIN?
This resin is UV certified for 50 years. Although I don't suggest hanging the piece in direct sunlight, you could, know the resin won't turn.
HOW IS THE PRICE OF THE ART BROKEN DOWN?
I charge $125.00 per hour of time. This includes all preparation, correspondence, and "making". Please be aware that even after an initial budget is set that prices can change. I will let you know when your budget maximum is reached. You will be provided with a detailed report of expenditures. Please note I do not charge for any cost of getting materials, my own additional time per piece, or questions on my end.
photocopying and photo restructure: ranges from $20 to $80 per photo/document depending on the size and how many photos and documents you have.
wood cutting and cleaning as well as base wood: $60 to $100 depending on size.
resin: $175 per 2 gallons. Ranging from $60 to $100 depending on the size of the canvas.
computer time: this is where the majority of time in comes from. I typically spend between 10 and 20 logged hours per piece. I charge you for an average of the time in. I want the piece to represent my artwork. I will let you know if we are straying from my personal choices, but at the same time I am happy to make what you want.
added vintage paper materials: $5-$10 (usually minimal depending on how much ephemera I am given).